Friday, November 11, 2005

Who am i really punishing here?

The house is all abuzz! Micah is sitting in the middle of the living room screaming just because he can. Devin is shooting the torpedoes off of his new car, following with a "YES!" Gracie is running through the house being Gracie. I am folding laundry on the couch and Ryane is telling me about her book from school. Everything is going well Gracie heads into the living room about the same time that Ryane heads toward the bedroom. Thunk! Followed by OWWWW! In passing Ryane has decided that now would be a great time to smack Gracie in the stomach. Not hard enough to cause any damage, but just hard enough to sting like the devil and stightly take Gracie's breath away. Conversation follows.

G: Ryane hit me in the tummy (said through tears)

M: Ryane! Come here!

R: Ma'am?

M: Ryane! Why did you hit your sister?

R: I didn't mean to...

M: RYANE! I saw you. You hit her on purpose!

R: (silence)

M: Ryane, you hit her on purpose didn't you?

R: yes ma'am

M: Go to your room, I'll be there in a minute (the most hated phrase of parenthood)

So, immediatly Gracie starts to try and tell me what happened. "Gracie, I don't need you to explain anything to me." Into the bedroom I go.

M: Ryane, you come up with 3 punishments for what you did and I will decide which one you get.

R: Um, no games, no tv, or grounded

M: Ryane, you are going to your dad's this weekend, none of those will work. I'll come up with 3 and YOU decide which one you want.

1) 3 swats
2) You clean the bedroom alone (it's messy too)
3) You give Gracie your most cherished possession

R: What is a possession?

M: You have to give Gracie something of yours that you really love. You have 5 minutes to think about it

.........5 minutes later..........

M: Did you decide?

R: (Bawling) I am going to give her Mr. Alligator. (Red face, tears, quivering lip)

M: Are you sure?

R: No ma'am

M: What do you want to do?

R: (through tears) I don't want to give her Mr. Alligator.

M: You have to pick a punishment.

R: Mr. Alligator

M: Ok, you need to tell her

R: Here, (handing him over) he is yours now. (now openly bawling)

G: (puzzled, because she hasn't been present for the entire conversation) Thank you.

M: Ryane you have to tell her why you are giving it to her.

R: (still bawling) I have to give him to you because I hit you.

G: Oh.

With head in hands sobbing quietly Ryane leaves the room. Gracie walks over to me, bends down with alligator in hand and whispers "can I be nice and give it back to her?" I look at her sweet little face and say "she had to give it to you for punishment" Gracie with her big round eyes looks at me and says "I know, but she is making me cry. Can I please give it back to her?" In a hushed voice I say "...on monday..."

Just at that moment Ryane whips around the corner and yells "I changed my mind, I want to clean the room. Is that ok?" So of course Mr. Alligator is back with his rightful owner, the bedroom is being cleaned by Ryane and Ryane alone, and Gracie is not upset anymore.

Gaaa! Punishment is HARD!

3 comments:

DJS said...

Isn't that the funniest thing! Kids are so innocent. It probably never occured to Ryane to offer something she really didn't care about.

Kelly said...

I am laughing so hard! That might be your funniest story yet.

Pat V said...

Kids are great! They are so innocent even in their mean times.
There are many more of those coming up...so hang on to your seats! :-)